Online Stress Management Training & Skills
Find out ways to cope with stress
Believe it or not stress is essential, it drives us to perform at our best. Too much stress though, has just the opposite effect. Each of us has a different capacity to manage stress and this is often closely connected with our coping skills and resources. As life events come along they often put our coping skills to the test, making it hard to cope with stress.
All of us at some time or another begin to feel the strain as stress builds and our coping strategies struggle to keep up. At Positive Mind Works we are good listeners, but more than that we can help you to implement a number of specific Stress Management Skills, helping you to learn to cope with stress. Our goal is to support you to restore balance by using proven techniques for managing stress.
What can I do to reduce stress?
- Avoid stimulants such as caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine
- Try to incorporate 30 mins of physical activity each day.
- Get more sleep, between 6-9 hours of sleep each night is recommended.
- Try relaxation techniques such as mindfulness, meditation or any other activity you find relaxing.
- Talk to someone such as a good friend or health professional.
- Keep a diary to record fluctuations in your stress levels.
- Take control of your situation by recognising the things you can change.
- Manage your time effectively, finding time for fun, achievement and connection with others.
Stressful situations cause a release of stress hormones in the body, namely adrenaline and cortisol. This triggers the “fight or flight” response in which our brains are hard-wired to protect us from immediate bodily harm when we are under threat. However, stress in our modern world is rarely a physical threat and the fight or flight response is not a helpful reaction to say a traffic jam, a bully at work or a mortgage payment that is due. Physical activity helps to metabolize these excessive stress hormones and restore your body and mind to a calmer, more relaxed state. When you feel stressed some physical activity can help you to cope with stress, improve your mood and your quality of sleep.