What is Online Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT)
Cognitive Behaviour Therapy is often abbreviated to CBT. It is a type of therapy that involves understanding the relationship between our thoughts, feelings and behaviour. With this picture understood the online therapist will support you to devise a plan, identifying your goals and ways of achieving them.This may involve cognitive behaviour therapy techniques to modify negative unhelpful thoughts, replace unhelpful or destructive behaviours,manage distressing/ unpleasant feelings and ultimately improve overall mood.
The first one or two sessions are often used to get a clear understanding of the way things are at present, set treatment goals and expectations, as well as agree on the number of sessions that will be helpful.It is common to offer between 4 and 12 sessions.
How Can Cognitive Behaviour Therapy Help me?
CBT is notably different to traditional counselling methods.
The following are some of the major differences:
- Sessions are structured
- Treatment is goal focused
- It is Time limited. There will be an agreed number of sessions and an end to treatment. The ultimate goal in therapy is for you to be your own therapist following the completion of CBT.
- It is practical. Some sessions will be focused on training you in new skills that will be helpful. Each week you will be asked to work on strategies outside of session to ‘try out’ these skills in your own life. It is important that you can commit to at least 30 minutes each week in your own time to implement these strategies and feedback the following week.
- While it is useful to understand significant events in the past, the focus of CBT is on the Now. This may include understanding the impact of past events on your current situation.
- The CBT model emphasizes that it is not events that cause emotion but it is how we interpret and assign meaning to these events. This helps to explain why each of us can react differently to the same event and also how we find ourselves in a negative pattern that appears to repeat itself throughout our lives.
What can I expect from a Online CBT Therapist?
- You will always be treated with respect and compassion
- Treatment goals will be set by yourself and agreed by the therapist
- You can expect to be seen on time for your appointment
- Your consent will always be sought regarding treatment planning and content
- The therapist will always behave professionally and consistently in accordance with The Australian Psychological Society Code of Ethics www.psychology.org.au