Anxiety can be real and frightening. Although a certain amount of anxiety is essential and healthy, many people suffer from debilitating levels of anxiety. When anxiety reaches this point it can cause a range of distressing physical symptoms and stop people from living the life they desire. When high levels of anxiety persist they can often lead to loss of confidence and depression.
Self-help for Anxiety:
- Take a time-out every day, just for you. Do whatever activities you find nurturing. Some people practice yoga, listen to music, meditate, get a massage, or learn relaxation techniques. Stepping back from the problem helps clear your head.
- Eat well-balanced meals. Even if you don’t feel hungry try not skip any meals. Do keep healthy mood-boosting snacks nearby.
- Reduce alcohol and caffeine during the day, these substances can increase anxiety and even trigger panic attacks.
- Get enough sleep. It is really helpful when our body and mind is stressed to hold onto a good sleep routine.
- Exercise daily helps directly to control anxiety and stress levels. 30 minutes a day of exercise is recommended.
A Positive Mind Works Online Psychologist Is Available Now
- Learn what triggers your anxiety. Are you more likely to feel anxious in certain situations or with certain people? Write in a journal when you’re feeling stressed or anxious, record your thoughts and where you were. Then try to look for a pattern.
- Learn to breathe slowly. Inhale for 3 seconds through your nose, hold for 1 and then exhale for 4 seconds through your mouth.
- Use Distraction. Count to 10 slowly. Repeat, and count to 20 if necessary.
- Try your best. Stop aiming for perfection, it isn’t possible!
- Accept that you cannot control everything. Put your stress in perspective:
- What is the saying “humour is the best medicine?” A good laugh not only helps depression but also relaxes us.
- Watch your thinking. Is it really as bad as you think? Make an effort to observe your thoughts and consider how realistic they are.
- Talk to someone you trust. Tell friends and family you’re feeling anxious, and let them know how they can help you. Contact Positive Mind Works to find out how an online psychologist can help.
Using Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) you can get help for anxiety treatment. We will first look at increasing your understanding of the physical symptoms, learning relaxation strategies and new ways of managing worrying thoughts.
We will also help you to confront and overcome fears in a safe and supported way. Our work is always at a pace that feels comfortable for you.
You set the goals for anxiety therapy and we help you to achieve them. Click here to learn more.Click here to book your online appointment today